• An economist and coder, by original trade
• CIO of the then Commonwealth Employment Service
• In charge of Commonwealth innovation policies and programs, including R and D grants and tax concessions, venture capital programs, offsets policy and programs and the forerunners to Commercialisation Australia and AusIndustry
• A venture capitalist in Japan, China and the USA, including raising an early stage venture fund from Japanese institutional investors
• An adviser to the Commonwealth on higher education policy
• The founder of or very early stage investor in 6 edutech startups, of varying success, in China and Australia from 1998 onwards
• Raised more than A$50M of mainly international venture money to invest in these edutech companies
His major interest today is to make a small contribution to dramatically increasing the rate of high growth startup formation in the edutech industry, out of Australia.